16 February 2010

D.I.Y: Lip Scrub

Hello, lovelies! As we all know, having smooth lips is a beauty must have! Well hydrated lips retain lip colour better and longer than dry lips, and smooth lips make lipstick look so much prettier.
There are several lip scrubs on the market, most of them ranging upwards of $10, but why buy one if you can make it at home, using items that most people already have in their pantry? Making a lip scrub at home means that you know EXACTLY what's going into it (and on your lips), and you don't have to worry "Oh, what if I accidentally get some in my mouth?"
I'm quite fond of mixing sugar with olive oil, or almond oil, when I make my lip scrubs. Sugar is a natural exfoliant when in it's crystallized (i.e. 'regular') form and olive oil is wonderful for adding moisture, since it's full of fatty-acids.

Obviously, you will need:

  • Small bowl (for mixing)
  • Measuring spoons
  • Olive oil ( I recommend Extra Virgin)
  • Sugar
  • Food colouring (optional)
Start by measuring out about a tablespoon of sugar and pour into a small bowl. Follow by adding approximately two teaspoons of olive oil over top. Using your finger (or spoon!) mix the two together until the mixture kind of "clumps" together. If you'd like your scrub to have more of a paste like consistency, add a bit more olive oil.

lip scrub,diy

Since I like colourful things, I usually add a few drops of food colouring to mine. If you add food colouring, be warned: some may stain your lips for a few minutes. Be sure you spot test this!

lip scrub,diy
I, of course, made mine red. :)

Once your scrub has been mixed well, dip your finger in, and lightly rub over your lips in a circular motion to slough off dead skin cells. Rinse with warm water and follow up with your favourite lip balm.

lip scrub,diy

I would post an "after" picture of my lips, but they were photographing with some super glare because of the lighting! Trust me, they're soft and ready for a gorgeous shade of classic rose.

Cost: Free, since most of us already have sugar and olive oil at home
Grade: A. It's super effective, and best of all, you didn't have to spend any of your hard earned money on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment